youtube-pl plays Youtube videos from the commandline.
No download takes place, the video is streamed.
and all operations mplayer allows with them - speed up down, brightness contrast
adjustment, A/V delay adjustment, fast forward.
MPlayer at least 1.0rc2-4.1.2
chmod a+x youtube-pl
You should see a video playing. If not, proceed with:
- cannot seek in stream - mplayer too old. Install mplayer at least
- tee: standard output: Broken pipe and no video - mplayer is not installed.
- Video stops and starts - the Internet connection is slow. Try
low quality version on youtube or wait until the network is not so congested.
- mplayer doesn't play with the options I would like - put them options
into ~/.mplayer/config. See man mplayer for the right syntax.
- After too much seek mplayer hangs for a while - I don't know how to solve
this one. Try to seek carefully. Or use } (2x speedup) to seek forward and then [<-]
(backspace) to restore normal speed.
- tee: standard output: Broken pipe after quitting mplayer - don't know
how to solve this one either. Press CTRL-C
- I don't like the default fullscreen - edit youtube-pl search for
mplayer and take the
cp youtube-pl /usr/bin
chmod 766 /usr/bin/youtube-pl
chown root:root /usr/bin/youtube-pl
Twibright Labs made youtube-pl from youtube-dl
and released it on March 21, 2009.