Jet Set Willy X is a videogame by Twibright Labs for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
computer heavily inspired by Jet Set Willy.
Thank you for making Jet Set Willy
X! It gave me a lot of fun to play and I really enjoyed it!" -- Daniel 'Jet Set Danny' Gromann
Download - emulator
Download the jswx.sna - a SNA file
that can be loaded into most ZX Spectrum emulators. There is also a
TAP file should you have a problem
with the SNA file.
Download - Sinclair ZX Spectrum
To play on the original computer, download the gzipped WAV file. Unzip it. Type LOAD
"", press ENTER and play the WAV into the computer on suitably high
Youtube walkthrough video
Youtube video based on a RZX file created by Daniel Gromann.
Video preview (69 sec. with soundtrack)
The tune playing in the video isn't the actual output from the computer, but
a MIDI file (Ogg Vorbis,
by Alan 'Factor6' Petrik,
which was used to program the tune into the game.
How to run the game
You need a ZX Spectrum emulator. I used Spectemu
on OpenBSD, but there are many others. Some of
them are allegedly even for mobile phones!
Then you run the emulator and
give it the jswx.sna
file, which if the
most supported ZX Spectrum snapshot format. My emulator can emulate even the
Differences from Jet Set Willy
- There are no guardians, however there are places where you are probably
going to swear even without them.
- The guy walks twice as fast, the animation is smooth 50Hz instead of 25Hz,
the guy has twice as much positions and the sprites are a bit different
- There are no ropes
- There is a 2-channel tune instead of 1-channel
- The guy can fall through a 1-character hole
- The rooms are 20 chars high instead of 16
- There are much more available different characters in one room
- The attributes in the room are not used to encode meaning of the characters,
they can be set arbitrarily
- What happens after the game is completed is a bit more fun
- The jump looks a bit different
- When the guy enters a room from sideways, he doesn't start 1 character away from
the edge, but at the edge
- The kill and collect sounds are different
- The kill and collect events generate an effect in the border
- The main voice of the tune continues playing during the kill or collect
- The initial scrolling of text is pixel-smooth
- There are 69 rooms and over 390 items to collect
Automatically generated files
World of Spectry Entry
World of Spectrum entry on Jet Set Willy X.
Includes a game map.
I wrote the game roughly between 1993-1996 (I was 14-17 at that time)
and put it together in 2006 (filled in couple of missing rooms). Alan
Petrik did the music for which I wrote a player routine in 2006. I also
optimized the graphics code to get more % of the vertical interval playing
music. logout128 fixed the titlescreen.
The game is released under the GPL.